Pharos is staffed by talented individuals from a diverse range of backgrounds. We offer a rewarding, flexible, supportive working environment, as well as on-site training to develop your skills.
Our current vacancies are listed below, but you are also welcome to make a speculative application by sending your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also shown below are vacancies at our sister company Carallon – a product development company that provides R&D services to Pharos.
|Salary||Competitive based on experience|
|Working Hours||Full-time (37.5 hours/week)|
|Location||Carallon offices, Ealing Broadway, London W5 (The post holder may be required to work at other locations, at the discretion of their line manager.)|
Carallon is a product research and development company creating industry-leading, award-winning products. Based in London, we specialise in industrial hardware and software design for the entertainment industry; encompassing lighting control, LED video processing, and motion control. We have our own UK-based manufacturing capability focused primarily on high-value, high-specification control products in low- to medium-volume, as well as working with manufacturing partners overseas.
Our products are used all over the world for high profile installations and events; the London Eye, the Academy Awards, U2 and Ed Sheeran world tours, and Madame Tussauds to name a few.
Products we manufacture include:
- the Pharos Architectural Controls range of lighting control products, used in theme parks and architectural installations worldwide
- the Martin Professional P3 LED Video Wall processors
- the industry-leading Brompton Technology control and processing solution for video walls used in concerts, awards shows, and television
We are looking to add an experienced Product Compliance Engineer to our fast-growing team. The post holder will administer and maintain all aspects of product regulatory compliance to international directives and standards for the extensive range of embedded control system products developed and manufactured by Carallon.
This will involve working closely with the R&D team during new product development to specify necessary standards and coordinate the required testing and approval processes. The post holder will also act as a point of contact for Carallon customers on compliance and regulatory matters, working with them to offer advice, establish their requirements, and update internal compliance procedures where necessary.
This is a new role that will take over some responsibilities from our Manufacturing Manager and will work under his supervision going forward. Excellent communication skills, a high-level of personal organisation and attention to detail are all essential. A secondary aspect to the role will be supporting the Manufacturing Manager with the operations of the manufacturing department and supporting an ongoing programme of quality improvement. The position is suitable for a dynamic team player with prior experience of product regulatory compliance within the electronics industry who is looking for a new challenge and an opportunity with a fast-growing UK-based manufacturer.
- Administer and maintain all aspects of product regulatory compliance to international directives and standards for embedded electronic devices.
- Monitor international standards and provide advice and guidance to the R&D team on any new or changing requirements.
- Ensure global EMC and safety compliance requirements are understood and adhered to e.g. CE, FCC, UL etc.
- Coordinate testing and approval process for all new products.
- Technical file management ensuring that all relevant data is correct and satisfies FCC, UL, CE, etc, marking requirements and is available to customers and third parties on request.
- Provide technical responses to customers with respect to international standards and product compliance.
- To manage materials compliance in line with RoHS, REACH and other international, national and corporate legislation and standards.
- To manage materials conformity declarations and certification.
- Assess and monitor the performance of our suppliers with respect to regulatory and materials compliance and our quality requirements
- Support work to review and update quality management procedures within manufacturing
- Degree/HND in a relevant engineering subject or significant experience in a similar technical role
- Significant experience (>2 years) within a product compliance/regulatory role
- Excellent understanding of product compliance to international standards including UL, CE, FCC
- An understanding of materials compliance including RoHS, REACH
- Electronics fundamentals
- Excellent communication skills in both verbal and written English
- A highly methodical approach and a high level of organisation
- A good team player who also has the ability to work independently under guidance
- Prior experience with specific regional compliance standards such as CCC (China)
- Prior experience carrying out XRF testing for materials compliance
- Prior experience working with or putting in place quality management systems, e.g. ISO 90001
Carallon is a product research and development company creating industry-leading award-winning products. Based in London, we specialise in industrial hardware and software design for the entertainment industry; encompassing lighting control, LED video processing and motion control. Many of our hardware products have their own integrated user interfaces, while others have accompanying configuration software that runs on desktop or mobile, and we also develop standalone software products.
Projects our team designs and manufactures for include:
- The industry-leading Tessera control and processing solution for video walls used in concerts, award shows and television
- The Pharos Architectural Control range of lighting control products used in theme parks and architectural installations worldwide
- The Martin Professional P3 LED Video Wall processors
We divide our time between contracting work and developing our own products in-house for distribution to a huge international client base.
The FPGA Engineer position is within our development team, which works concurrently on a variety of exciting, cutting-edge projects. As the team is growing rapidly we are seeking to increase our capability to develop robust FPGA solutions for the video industry. The FPGA Engineer would work closely with our existing FPGA and software team to develop interface solutions for driver chips to support a wide variety of LED panel manufacturers we are partnering with.
We offer a very friendly, flexible and supportive working environment. Our development team is close-knit and highly motivated with a keen interest in the products it creates. A successful candidate should be similarly minded to work in the driven, focused environment required to bring original and ground-breaking products to market. It is unique opportunity to develop engineering solutions that will be used to create spectacular events ranging from televised award-shows such as the Oscars to corporate events for the world's leading brands to the biggest rock-and-roll tours.
- Develop FPGA solutions for control of LED driver chips as part of our Tessera LED video processing product.
- Implement associated software logic/algorithms wherever needed in the product's ecosystem.
- Interface with Field Application Engineers to test, debug, fix and improve these features/mechanisms.
- Contribute to solving FPGA problems in other parts of the system.
- 2.1 or higher degree (or equivalent) in Electrical Engineering or similar discipline
- Strong understanding of good logic design principles
- Good knowledge of C and C++
- Familiarity with Altera design tools
- Interest in control systems for video and lighting in entertainment
- Attention to detail
- Ability to discuss prior design work and explain the design processes involved and justify decisions made
- Ability to communicate ideas and concepts effectively in spoken and written English within a technical environment
- Evidence of the ability to work as part of a team, sharing skills, experience and interests with colleagues
- Fluency in Mandarin/Cantonese
- Knowledge of Git and Gerrit version control and code review tools
- Experience working with video or lighting for live entertainment
- Excellent time management, including the ability to prioritise conflicting tasks appropriately